The ability to articulate a vision is a much sought-after skill. But what exactly is a vision, and why does it matter? On this episode, I describe how a vision can energize and inspire others and give purpose to their tasks while also raising the bar for excellence. I give you five specific steps you can take to become a more visionary leader. Listen to this podcast to begin working on these steps and develop your skill for articulating and carrying out a vision.
To become a visionary leader, create your own vision for you, your life, and your career
The first step to becoming a more visionary leader is to create your own vision for you, your life, and your career. Imagine what you want your life to look like. On this episode, I explain how to go about creating this vision. The second step will provide a foundation for developing your strategy. Using the StrengthsFinder assessment will help you become more aware of your strengths and how they fit into your vision. Listen to this episode to learn how to use these tools to begin the process of becoming a more visionary leader.
To become a visionary leader, practice backwards visioning
Backwards visioning is a thought process that helps you create a vision that will engage and motivate people. Write the vision for a specific project as if it has already happened. On this episode, I explain how to do this and how it helps your team get creative and motivated in the vision writing process. Listen in to learn how backwards visioning can jumpstart your vision for the future. Practice it to help you become a more visionary leader.
To become a visionary leader, look for opportunities to create a new vision
Where in your organization is there a need for a new vision? The clues are all around you. On this episode, I will describe some of the clues to look for and encourage you to find opportunities to practice and strengthen your visioning skills. Listen to this podcast and then continue observing the people in your organization. As you actively look for opportunities and step into them to create new vision, you will strengthen your skills as a visionary leader.
To become a visionary leader, practice sharing the vision
The ability to articulate a vision is one of the most sought-after leadership abilities. After you create the vision, breathe life into it. On this episode, I will explain how to bring the vision into conversations and decisions within your organization so that it will begin to permeate and become the focus of your team. Listen in to find out how to share the vision so that others buy in and own the vision as well.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:35] The ability to articulate a vision is a sought-after leadership skill.
- [1:17] What is a vision and why does it matter?
- [5:28] Five steps to help you become a visionary leader and incorporate some new habits.
- [5:42] Step #1 – Create your own vision for you, your life, your career.
- [8:15] Step #2 – Do the StrengthsFinder assessment to determine what your strengths are.
- [11:49] Step #3 – Practice backwards visioning.
- [14:49] Step #4 – Look for opportunities in the organization where there might be a need for a new vision.
- [16:53] Step #5 – Practice sharing the vision.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Video: Learn to Create a Vision
- Episode #3 (The Most Sought-After Leadership Skills)
- Visionary Leadership by Burt Nanus
- Episode #1 (more info on StrengthsFinder assessment)