There are many reasons you may want to map out your path to move forward in your career. On this episode, I’ll explore those reasons and help you learn how to get clarity on a number of important elements that contribute to the decisions you will make for your career. Do you know what’s important to you, and what you want to be known for? Do you have a clear personal plan? To be the best leader you can be, you first need to be energized, feeling satisfied and on the right path so that you can lead others. Listen to this episode for seven tips on how to choose the right path for your career.
A FREE four-minute Assessment could change your life
If you want to move forward on your career path, there are several key elements that you need to have clarity on as a foundation for the decisions that you will make. On this episode, I’ll tell you about a four-minute assessment you can take that will help you understand these elements and know which ones you are solid on and which need more consideration and clarity. Listen to today’s podcast for tips to help you start the journey, and then take this quick assessment so you can begin to move forward.
What do you love to do? Make a list so you can start moving forward
A great starting point for moving forward is to make a list of what you love to do and to be specific. Be really honest about how you want to spend your time. On today’s episode, I’ll talk about how to get this list started, and how you can add to it by looking at past assessments and performance reviews for clues as to what your strengths are. Writing a list of your strengths and what you love to do may not just come naturally. Listen to this episode for insights on how to determine what it is that you love and what you are good at.
How do the roles you are considering compare with your strengths and what you enjoy doing?
As you think about moving forward in your career, make a list of all the roles that you are considering. Then research and delve more deeply into those roles to gain an understanding of what they look like on a day to day basis. On this episode, I’ll give you ideas for how to do your research and discover whether or not a role is right for you. Listen to today’s podcast to learn how to determine if the roles you are considering align with what you are good at and what you enjoy doing.
When you know what you want, take action to move forward in your career
When you want to make a change in your career, it is not enough to think about it and make lists that help you determine what you really want. You need to take action. On this episode, I’ll encourage you to take steps in the direction you want to go. Every step forward, even a baby step, will lead to more awareness, understanding, progress, learning, and experience that you can use to make a course correction. Listen in to get started on choosing the right path to move forward in your career.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:36] Welcome to today’s episode. Seven tips for moving forward in your career.
- [1:03] Reasons you might want to map out your next career move.
- [2:05] To be the best leader you can be, you need to know that you’re on the right path.
- [3:31] My personal story of the pivotal moment that led to a significant career change.
- [6:38] What does success look like for you?
- [7:43] Tip #1 – A 4-minute assessment that could change your life.
- [11:59] Tip #2 – Make a list of what you love to do, and be specific.
- [14:15] Tip #3 – Look at any past assessments or performance reviews for clues.
- [16:31] Tip #4 – Make a list of all the roles you’re considering right now.
- [17:57] Tip #5 – Compare what you love to do with the roles you’re considering.
- [19:13] Tip #6 – Write down your definition of success.
- [21:29] Tip #7 – Take action. Every step forward allows you to make progress.
- [22:35] Any path that you take is not a waste of time. Here’s why.