Many leaders struggle with delegating tasks and responsibilities. On this episode, I explain how you can delegate in a way that maximizes your own personal impact and significantly increases the engagement of your team. You will hear six tips that will help you to delegate effectively so that you strengthen your brand as a leader and enable meaningful involvement for your team members.
Successful delegation begins with knowing yourself
Successful delegation begins with knowing yourself, what you’re good at, what you want to be known for, and what activities tap into your weaknesses. On this episode, I describe how you can become more self-aware about these things. You’ll hear how to determine which activities to delegate and how delegating maximizes your personal impact. Listen to today’s podcast to take a closer look at how you are managing your responsibilities and learn to delegate successfully.
To delegate successfully, take the time to know your team well
When you know the strengths, weaknesses, and goals of your team members, it will help you to match up assignments and tasks with each person. On this episode, I describe how to do a deep-dive with your team members so that you can delegate successfully and increase their engagement. Listen in for tips and resources for getting to know your team members in a way that will help you delegate effectively and strengthen your leadership.
Use the S.M.A.R.T. goal formula when you delegate an assignment
The S.M.A.R.T. goal formula (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound) can help you delegate assignments effectively. On this episode, I walk you through the formula and explain how each element is used for delegating. You will hear how the S.M.A.R.T. formula enables you to clearly communicate what success looks like and to increase your team members’ engagement. Listen to today’s episode of The Success Talk Show to get the tools that you need for delegating successfully.
Appreciation and recognition increase team engagement
Delegating is an opportunity to help grow the person who completes the task. When you spotlight their accomplishment, you help build their personal brand. Expressing appreciation can be anything from a simple thank you to recognition within the team or the company, depending on the task and what was accomplished. When the person who did it feels seen, acknowledged, and appreciated, they will be motivated to do more of the same. Listen to today’s podcast to learn how to increase team engagement through appreciation and recognition.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:34] Delegating to improve your brand and increase engagement.
- [1:00] Tip #1 – Start by knowing what you’re good at and what you want to be known for.
- [2:33] Tip #2 Make a list of activities that do not play to your strengths, that perhaps tap into a weakness.
- [4:35] Tip #3 Become familiar with the strengths, weaknesses, and professional goals of your team members.
- [6:33] Tip #4 Decide what you are going to delegate to each team member.
- [8:46] Tip #5 Use the S.M.A.R.T. goal formula when you delegate the assignment.
- [10:20] Tip #6 Be sure to follow up with appreciation or an appropriate form of recognition.
- [12:13] It all starts with your self-awareness.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Episode #26 – Authentic Personal Branding: The Key to Your Success
- Donna Ceriani on LinkedIn