How does a leader find the right people for the right roles to create a high-performance team? Lisa Reinhold, Vice President of Customer and Network Success at Tracelink, Inc., has developed highly successful strategies for recruiting. On today’s episode, Lisa shares her approach and the strategies she has used effectively in multiple settings. You will learn why recruiting is a leader’s number one priority, why and how you need to demonstrate a sense of urgency in your hiring process, and how you can know whether or not a person is a good fit. Listen in to get the tools that you need to be an effective recruiter and build a high-performance team.
First steps for creating a high-performance team
Lisa Reinhold has developed an approach that has worked very well for her when going into a new situation to develop a team. She first focuses on the people, then the organizational structure, and then the systems and processes. On this episode, Lisa shares key questions that she asks in each of those areas, and how the answers to those questions help determine her recruiting strategy. Listen in and learn how to ask the questions that will lay a solid foundation for creating a high-performance team.
Hiring is Managers’ Job Number One
Bringing in the right people is not as daunting as you might think. But the first thing a manager needs to do is to embrace recruiting as their job number one. Always be looking for top talent, even when you do not have openings. Own your candidate pipeline, not leaving it up to HR. On this episode, Lisa Reinhold and I discuss the importance of making recruiting your highest priority and how that mindset enables you to hire the right person for the right role at the right time. Listen to learn how to make recruiting your priority so that you can avoid pressure to hire an “okay” person instead of the right person for the role.
To get the best candidates in a recruiting process, demonstrate a sense of urgency
Today’s environment is so fast-paced that you can lose a good candidate by not aggressively scheduling interviews. On today’s episode, Lisa Reinhold describes how to demonstrate a sense of urgency that makes your candidates feel valued and leaves them with a good feeling about the company, even if they do not receive an offer. Listen in to find out how this mindset change can help you create a high-performance team by getting the right person in the right role at the right time.
How to know if your candidate is a good fit for your team
Hiring the right person for the right role is essential to the creation of a high-performance team. But how do you know if your candidate is a good fit? On this episode, Lisa Reinhold describes the process that she uses to determine a candidate’s fit. She includes details about the different people in the company who should do interviews and how to create a structure so that those who conduct interviews are looking for the same things. She also describes how you can integrate activities into the interview process to help you see a candidate in action to get a better feel for how they fit. Listen in to improve your own abilities to hire the right person for the right role on your team.
Outline of This Episode
- [0:34] Introducing Lisa Reinhold, VP of customer and network success at Tracelink
- [1:53] First steps and key questions for creating a high-performance team.
- [4:45] Bringing in the right people is not as daunting as you might think. Make it job #1
- [7:05] Internal marketing vs finding candidates outside.
- [9:11] How the frontline people become the pipeline for the rest of the company.
- [11:57] Own your candidate pipeline and develop a sense of urgency.
- [16:27] Tap into the network of your team to find the best people.
- [18:23] Treating interviews very urgently makes candidates feel valued.
- [20:22] Why the interview process is a two-way street.
- [21:52] How to integrate activities into the interview process to see a candidate in action.
- [25:26] How do you know a candidate is a good fit?
- [30:48] Lessons that stand out in Lisa Reinhold’s career.
Resources & People Mentioned
- Contact Lisa Reinhold on LinkedIn
- Entrepreneur Magazine article on Creating a Thriving Team